What I See
Skills to Develop
The Big Picture
Notes / Passwords
|The Big Picture
we begin this web publishing process, I think it is a good idea for us to look at the
entire process from start to finish. There are many components to creating your own
web site and this overview will give you a good look at the sequence of steps. These
steps are for someone who can not publish their web site within the school's server or on
the MCIU's server. These steps are for most of us who will be publishing our web
site out on the Internet completely separate from the schools network. At this
point, most schools are not dealing with the process and the responsibility of hosting
teachers' and students' web pages. Consequently, you must learn how to publish
directly to the Internet.
Sequential Steps to the Big Picture
- Open a web based e-mail account such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Rocket Mail, Juno Mail, etc.
We prefer Yahoo since it owns GeoCities web sites.
- Send and retrieve e-mail to test this account.
- Go to GeoCities.com and sign up for a free web page.
- Here is what to look for.......
- Geocities sorts their web sites under 41 categories called neighborhoods. You will
need to select one of these.
- Once a neigborhood is selected, you will need to provide some basic information about
your site. This info will be placed on your temporary home page that Geocities will
create for you. We will delete this page once we publish our own pages.
- Geocities will create the web page and then send you an e-mail to your Yahoo e-mail
address. This e-mail will welcome you to Geocities.
- They also will show you the URL or address of your new web site.
- At this URL will be the information you provided Geocities in step #7 above.
Again, this web page is only the beginning. We will replace their web page with our
- Return to Yahoo e-mail and get the welcome letter from Geocities.+
- Read your mail and review Geocities welcome letter.
- We are now ready to create web pages and build a web site.
- We will build our web site on the local hard drive and then publish it to this location
- Now the management of the web site begins. Adding content, creating images,
building pages, uploading and updating the web site.
This is the Big Picture !
Return to Top