Brac Cat Leg 3


Fleet Web Addresses:

2001-2002 Voyage, Leg 3
Key West Fl. to Rock Hall, MD
4/20/02 - 6/7/02

DSC00567.JPG (15572 bytes)
Carnegie Mansion

David & Bonnie Juall 
 on The Brac Cat, Packet Cat 35' 
DSC00231.JPG (15437 bytes)
DSC00569.JPG (16003 bytes)

DSC00585.JPG (15526 bytes)
Rough life...

Seven Mile Bridge.
DSC00539.JPG (16221 bytes)

DSC00607.JPG (16162 bytes)
Chesapeake Sunset

     "It seemed like we really did chase early summer all the way up the east coast. So out we go traveling on the open water, not the ICW, with our first leg being up into Marathon. We anchored outside of Boot Key Harbor on the east side of the entrance and had a nice sunset over the Seven Mile Bridge."
e-mail or call our cell at (860)-841-9431

Note: Click images for a larger view.      (Return to review Leg 1 or Leg 2))

Writing from a different perspective this time, we will be talking in past tense as we are now back in Durham after a much enjoyed, delightful journey north from Key West. We think we'll enjoy writing this as we get to do it all over again reliving the memories!! Well, here goes.

April 18, 2002
Of course the preparation for this trip was exhausting, as David had to really work hard to tie up all his existing projects to be able to withstand his two-month absence. We decided this time we would try to take all of our cats (yeah, right 5 cats) with us and so in anticipation of a long drive in a vehicle all the way to Key West (1400 miles) we decided we would rent an RV for a week and take our time. After our sailing adventures have been all lived out, we plan to see the rest of the country, including Canada and Alaska, via RV. Picked up a 30-foot C-Class on April 18th, knowing that it would have to sit in our driveway for a couple days as our anticipated take-off day has been postponed until Sunday, April 20th. It took a couple days to get everything packed and ready to shove off anyway, and Saturday night we slept in the RV with the cats and, needless to say, at 6:30 the next morning, we decided without hesitation that three of them were absolutely staying HOME! Just a phone call to the cat and house sitter took care of that. Unloaded them with all their paraphernalia and away we go.

April 21, 2002
Drove south of Fredericksburg, Virginia, on the first day out and stayed at a rest stop that night. I guess anyone reading this can tell we're new at this RV stuff and didn't realize what a noisy night we were in for. Oh, well, it was free.

April 22, 2002
Early start on Monday morning and drove on into Hilton Head thinking we would stay at a KOA somewhere near there, drove through and didn't care for it, was not on the island and wound up checking with the Chamber of Commerce tourism and they directed us to a beautiful campground right over the bridge on Hilton Head. Of course you can image, being on Hilton Head, it was top notch with very expensive fancy "Coaches" (I think they prefer to be called that) everywhere. The guy at the counter says, "Take the golf cart and drive through the site, come back and let us know what site you would like, and be sure to make sure there is enough room for all your slide-outs." I guess he didn't know that we had 1-800-RV4RENT written all over our "camper" and we sure didn't have any slide-outs. So the Durham-billies arrive on Hilton Head!! Anyway, it sure was an excellent campground, biking distance to the plantations, etc. We stayed two nights there but wished we had had a couple more as we didn't get to bike into the plantations like we wanted. David thought we'd squeeze in a little ride on Tuesday in the RV but don't we get to the gate at one of the plantations, you had to pay $5.00 for the privilege of driving through, but they don't allow RV vehicles. Next time we stop via boat or camper we'll be sure to spend a week there allowing enough time to explore everywhere by bike.

April 24, 2002
Wednesday it's time to keep on trucking (with David doing all the driving) and around lunch time saw a sign for Flagler Beach a couple miles off of 95. Let's do lunch in the RV oceanfront. Found a great spot all to ourselves, Bonnie made a great stir-fry lunch, had a walk on the beach, took a rest and headed out again a couple hours later.

DSC00528.JPG (15640 bytes) DSC00529.JPG (15699 bytes) DSC00535.JPG (15368 bytes)

We were kind of just going along thinking we'd find a campground on the way and when we got near Vero Beach we asked at another Chamber tourist spot about campgrounds and they directed us to one we didn't care for, got back on 95 only to find that a tanker had crashed and was billowing tremendous amounts of black smoke into the air, and they closed the highway. When we found that out, we saw a sign for a State Park with a campground so we made our way and got off at that exit in search on our home for the evening. It was quite a task to find it, drove all through Jupiter (another stunning paradise, by the way) and finally stopped to get some direction on which way to go. Found it, finally. We check in and realize what a fantastic find this was. Jonathan Dickinson State Park on the Loxahatchee River across from Jupiter Island. 11,500-acre preserved park and you had to drive 4 miles from the check-in point to the campground! The upper fork of the river is one of the few wild and natural rivers remaining in southeast Florida, remaining virtually unchanged in a world that is rapidly being altered by man. A little lore about the area: On a high bank next to the river, a young Trapper Nelson came to live in approximately 1936. He was a loner for the most part, who found security in this area and a way of life that was suited to his skills and temperament. In 38 years he became a local legend known as the "wild man" of the Loxahatchee. Yet, with his limited education, he managed to make a living, build a much-visited wildlife zoo and acquire large land interests. After his death in 1968, the state acquired his land, preserving his home and grounds for future generations to enjoy. What a story!

We practically had the campground to ourselves only it was a shame that we could only spend one night there. We will definitely put that spot on our RV route when the time comes. For now, it's Key West bound and seven weeks on the water for us. Headed out and drove straight to Key West, stopping in Marathon at a Chinese restaurant for lunch. Had lunch there when we stayed in Boot Key Harbor on the trek south. It was very exciting to see the boat at last, we were arriving a month later than anticipated, but now we were home.

April 25-29, 2002
Spent the afternoon shuffling everything from the RV to the boat and then getting the RV cleaned up for its return to Homestead. David drove it back the next morning and then took a bus from Homestead back to Key West. Bonnie spent the entire day unpacking, storing, vacuum packing, getting everyone situated and rested from the trip. We spent April 25th through the 29th in our slip at Sunset Cove Marina, visiting Key West every day. Turns out on Saturday they had a "bed race" down Duval Street. What fun!! Different organizations made up beds with wheels with various themes and you can imagine coming out of Key West what some of these would be. Our favorite was the Moulin Rouge theme, with the cross dresser in a red teddy, fishnet stockings, outlandish hair and makeup, on a swing suspended from the bed. They had four people pushing these beds on wheels down the street and who knows what they won but it was a sight.

After being well rested we knew it was time to ditch those dock lines and get out of that slip into the open water. For anyone wondering, so far, and for the rest of the trip for that matter (saves our mentioning it throughout this writing) we had picture-perfect weather all the way. It seemed like we really did chase early summer all the way up the east coast. So out we go traveling on the open water, not the ICW, with our first leg being up into Marathon. We anchored outside of Boot Key Harbor on the east side of the entrance and had a nice sunset over the Seven Mile Bridge.

DSC00539.JPG (16221 bytes)  DSC00541.JPG (15746 bytes)

May 1, 2002
Next day we left and stayed on the outside until Channel Five and went on up into the ICW , staying again at Tarpon Basin at Key Largo. Left Tarpon Basin May 2nd and wound our way up to No Name Harbor in Key Biscayne. We are revisiting some of the spots we were at going south but there was no other place we were itching to see so we figured we'd make some time and get a little north before spending extra nights.

When we left No Name Harbor, we decided to go on the outside instead of up the ICW as we would miss at least 20 draw bridges and make a lot better time. Turned out we missed exactly 29. Passing by Fort Lauderdale they were practicing for the air show and saw quite a private show from the boat. Had fighters flying over, Apache helicopters, etc.

DSC00543.JPG (15365 bytes) DSC00546.JPG (15324 bytes) DSC00547.JPG (15295 bytes)

We wound up having the longest travel day, distance-wise, that day and got all the way to Lake Worth before ducking in the inlet and staying in Lake Worth. We did put the dinghy in the water and went to shore, finding a Publix supermarket and stocking up on some things that were getting low. We liked the anchorage, the only thing was it was a Friday night and believe it or not, you could tell the bars were closed because at about 1:30, 2:00 a.m., boats were going by heading back home (locals) after a night out. I guess there should be such a thing as BUI, Boating Under the Influence, that is actually enforced.

We have JoJo and Sparky with us on this trip and they have settled into the routine nicely. Turned out that JoJo developed diabetes due to a lung problem that she has (coughing, asthma) and now Bonnie has to be a nurse and administer insulin shots daily to her. She doesn't seem to mind (JoJo that is). Sparky is his usual perky self, getting into trouble daily.

May 4, 2002
Today brought us into Vero Beach after having some problems with the engine. It is difficult to find an anchorage along the Indian River because the water is so shallow, so we decided to tuck back into the Vero Beach Municipal Marina and grabbed a mooring for the evening. The engine problem was overheating occurring when we tried a couple spots to anchor the previous night and ran into mud, which in turn was sucked into the engine, thus causing our overheating problem. Wound up being a clogged heat exchanger. David spent a couple hours the next morning trying to pinpoint the problem. Flushed all the anti-freeze out of the engine, etc., etc. We slept in a little that morning, being that it is Sunday and usually a busy day on the water with all the weekend people out, plus we are only traveling up to Sebastian, Florida, as we plan on stopping there for a couple nights. Got into Captain Hiram's in Sebastian at around 2:00 p.m., and tied up to the dock. Looking forward to getting some seafood and having a cooked meal put in front of us without all the preparation and cleaning up. Doing a mail pick-up here and some reprovisioning. We had stopped on the way down in the RV to get some Hale Growers fresh oranges and grapefruits but can't get them now since it is too far to reach by bikes and carry the fruit back. We learned in Vero Beach that we are about three weeks behind the pack of snowbirds going north for the summer. We feel we don't want to be on the Chesapeake before Memorial Day because usually the weather is still not that warm at that time.

DSC00552.JPG (15707 bytes)  DSC00554.JPG (16163 bytes) Captain Hiram's in Sebastian

May 8, 2002
We left Sebastian on May 8th and went on into Titusville for a nice anchorage right off the channel. From there on the 9th traveled to MM809.1, (with about 430 miles behind us) and anchored at what they call the Cement Plant which is a small anchorage back a creek where the cement plant and Sea Ray boating plant is. The next morning when starting the engines, port side engine would not start so David had to jump the battery to get it started. So began our week-long saga of a dead battery every morning when we set off. Aah, the boating life!

Traveled on through from the Cement Plant anchorage across the St. James River through the Sisters Creek Bridge. The cruising guide tells you to go through that bridge and "park" your boat on the northwest side of the bridge. Could not understand whey they were saying "park" instead of "anchor." Turns out it is just a bulkhead where boats tie up for the evening. There were no empty slots and we would have had to raft-up with another boat, and no one looking willing anyway, and so we anchored in 8-9 feet of water on the northeast side. Worked out very well; just a tip for any cruiser reading this and wondering if there is deep enough water there as an alternative to rafting up at the bulkhead. Had traveled this day with a couple of other sailboats staying at even pace and everyone wound up anchoring at the same place. There are certain stretches of the ICW where the next anchorage may not be for another 10 or 15 miles and so at 6:30 in the evening, you really have no choice but to go ahead with what is in front of you.

May 11, 2002
On into Georgia
the morning of May 11th and into an anchorage at Cumberland Island, Georgia, which for this leg turned out to be our favorite spot. We had 15 to 20 dolphin swimming around our boat, close enough we could hear them "spouting". What a welcome! We went ashore just to check things out but figured our big day exploring would be the next day, Sunday. We had originally planned to just stay here one night but upon arrival sensed that it was a great place to explore the natural beauty around us, we'll stay our extra night here instead of on Jekyll Island. 

Sunday, the 12th of May, and we dinghied ashore and found a very pristine, natural island that has definitely been protected from the ravages of development by man. Turns out the families that originally inhabited the island many years ago sold off their rights to the state to prevent any development in the future and it is now state operated but the owners maintain their rights to live on the island and operate a motor vehicle. No other motor vehicles are allowed. In fact, there are areas where you are not even allowed to ride your bicycle, you have to park your bike and walk. There are various campgrounds throughout the island, four or five, of course for only tent camping. You have to take a ferry to the island and backpack it to whatever campground you want to go to. There are no trash receptacles, whatever you bring to the island has to be taken off by you.

We took our bikes with us of course, they always provide for a much more expanded area to explore, and rode out to the beaches, deserted of course, and rode our bikes for a few miles on the beach. The sand is very compacted near the shoreline so makes for an easier ride. You cannot ride your bike on the beach at high tide as the turtles come into the dunes to lay their eggs and so you have to ride at low tide and you cannot ever go onto the dunes. There are marked trails that you have to follow. Explored the ruins of the Carnegie Mansion and the vacation mansions of the then rich and famous who used to get away from it all to Cumberland Island. Visited the gravesites of the original inhabitants. Saw lots of wild horses. We wanted to ride to the church where JFK Jr. and Carolyn got married but that is the section where you have to bike partway and then walk, which we were running out of time, or you could also ride all the way up the beach on the bike and take an alternative route in but that was 20 miles one way and felt we did not have enough time in the day to get there and back, plus there are no places to get anything to eat, and so we have etched Cumberland Island as a definite week-long stay on a future trip on the ICW.

DSC00556.JPG (14382 bytes) DSC00557.JPG (15946 bytes) DSC00558.JPG (16017 bytes) DSC00560.JPG (15638 bytes)
DSC00562.JPG (15596 bytes) DSC00565.JPG (16230 bytes) DSC00567.JPG (15572 bytes) DSC00569.JPG (16003 bytes)

May 12, 2002
Leaving Monday morning for our short jaunt to Jekyll Island where we tied up at the Jekyll Island Marina for the night. They have a courtesy van that you can take to get groceries, etc., and it was time for another mail pick-up. Went in search of a battery but to no avail. Will have to wait until we get to a more populated area. Had lunch at the waterside restaurant (not recommended) at the marina, bought some fresh shrimp for dinner that evening.

Continued on through Georgia, very remote scenery and traveling a lot of "ditch", Bonnie's favorite. No need to worry about heavy winds or chop here! Stopped at Old Teakettle Creek the night of the 14th and the Herb River the night of the 15th, stayed at an anchorage on the 16th at Rock Creek (MM516). We plan on traveling to Charleston tomorrow and staying for a couple nights at an anchorage behind a little island in Wappoo Creek. There is good provisioning from there, including a health-food supermarket, library for e-mail and Japanese restaurant.

May 17, 2002
After we anchored in Wappoo Creek, which is a narrow channel, the skies turned black and a storm blew through bringing in a cold front. This was the only untoward weather we had the whole trip. Glad we had planned to stay an extra night here. We read our Skipper Bob cruising guide incorrectly and headed west instead of east at the bridge where we had landed our dinghy, in search of the library. It said it was five blocks and we kept walking, walking, walking, and could not find the library. We asked a couple of guys sitting on their porch for directions, they didn't know but offered their cell phone to us to call for directions. They wound up taking us to a library, three miles further down the road, and we checked e-mail and now how do we get back to the boat? Asked the librarian where we could hail a cab and another woman standing there said, "Where do you need to go, I'll take you." We found out that wherever we went in North and South Carolina, the people were very eager to assist you and extremely friendly and outgoing. She took us to the grocery store and waited outside for us, then took us back to our dinghy, all out of her way. It was a scenario that would repeat itself in our travels down south.

DSC00580.JPG (15247 bytes) DSC00581.JPG (16100 bytes) DSC00583.JPG (15145 bytes)

Had dinner at a waterfront restaurant here at Wappoo and planned to stay put for the next day and do some further provisioning as we have finally found a health food store! Bonnie was very excited to be able to provision with healthier food than that offered at Piggly-Wiggly and Winn-Dixie stores! Had lunch at the Japanese restaurant, which was another real treat.

May 19, 2002
We left Wappoo Creek the morning of the 19th, setting out just in time to catch the 10:30 opening of the bridge. Stayed in Minim Creek the evening of the 19th and would recommend this anchorage for anyone wanting to be totally out in nature without the sight of a building and very little boat traffic. Great anchorage to just hang out and read a book for a couple days, or get caught up in chores if you must. Anchored there in the company of a sailboat, Harmony, that we had anchored with at Wappoo. We were the only two there. Left Minim Creek and traveled to Barefoot Landing on the 20th of May. Barefoot Landing has about 500 feet of bulkhead where they allow transient boaters to dock up for the night free of charge, within walking distance of any store or restaurant you could ever imagine. If all the spots are taken, the boats that are already docked are to hang out fenders so that any other boats wishing to stay for the night can raft up. We were fortunate as FINESSE had fenders waiting and also had lines tied to his boat so it made for an easy raft-up. It was our first experience with rafting and Finesse made it all the more enjoyable with the mutual sharing of our experiences thus far in the cruising life.

DSC00585.JPG (15526 bytes)  DSC00587.JPG (15818 bytes)

Left first thing on the 21st, heading up to Southport, North Carolina, where we sought out the free docking finger pier that was mentioned in our guide. There is only room for one boat and figured our chances of finding it available were almost nil, but lo' and behold it was available. What a find! It was in a private yacht basin so very quiet. Southport was a very charming southern town. Did a lot of walking and biking, picked up our mail again and finally managed to find a battery. The fellow from the store delivered us and the battery back to our boat and also took away the old one battery with him. That was a relief to finally have that resolved, only the turn around and realize that our bilge pump has been pumping a little too often to suit our tastes, David explores and finds we are taking on water in the port engine room. Bonnie had mentioned for the last couple days that it had gone on here and there, David thought it was a leaking something or other and planned on checking it. Well, after another hour or two of troubleshooting David realized it was a bolt that was missing from the transom bracket and he could not reach it from the inside and would have to go in the water to check it out. Wound up calling Island Packet, who told us exactly what size bolt it required and exactly where it was to go. Called the marina on shore there, they had precisely what we needed and David had to jump in the water (remember, we had a cold front blow through and it has not really warmed up that much since Wappoo Creek) and get that bolt in before our bilge pump would wear out and then we all know what happens after that. Success once again!! What a captain!! The tie-up where we are is only for a 24-hour stay but we decided since we are having engine problems and the wind is picking up, let's try to stay another night. Called the number of the police department they had posted and they said no problem, you can stay.

That all settled, we decide this would be another night out for dinner. We actually prefer eating out for lunch and preparing dinner on board, but dinner tonight it is. Off to the Shrimp House just across the way, looks good. Wrong!! Both ordered seafood dishes and should have known that down south they like to fry EVERYTHING and that's exactly what we got. Sorry, but we just are not used to fried foods. Of course proceeded to eat some of what was on our plate, after some grumbling, and asked that she wrap the rest for us to take back to the boat, which we knew beyond a doubt would end up in the garbage can in a couple days. The waitress comes back to the table in a few short minutes and proceeds to explain that she is very sorry but she dropped our leftovers on the floor and can she make it up by offering our three beers on the house and deducting 10% from our check???? Well, I think so!!! Thank goodness we didn't have to throw out the food.

Southport was very enjoyable as we left the wind die down all day on the 22nd. As we leave here we have a long trek up the Cape Fear River and do not want to pound into the weather and waves for four or five hours. Tomorrow will be much better.

May 23, 2002
And the 23rd was better as far as wind, but the current was running directly opposite of the northward course we were taking. Traveled quite a long distance up Cape Fear River at 3.2 knots, and sometimes even a bit slower than that. We weren't quite sure of our destination for the day but made our way, albeit it slowly, traveling along with a couple other sailboats. We saw that one of the boats, SOLITARE, had run aground and was having a tough time getting free. The Captain, being the kind soul that he is, decided to try to pull them off, as we draw less water than they do. This was at an inlet so the current was very strong and as we tried to pull alongside them we were being moved too swiftly with the current and in trying to grab a bow line, their running light lens shattered and at that moment decided to let the line free. Then in all of that, we lost our water and ran aground! Solitaire then managed to get free so it gave us the room we needed to get into deeper water and David maneuvered us right where we wanted to go.

On up the way we decided after all this traveling and having only stayed in a slip one night since we left 23 days ago, it was time for a treat and let's go to a marina. Stayed at Harbor Village Marina where Solitaire and Annual Hope, whom we had been traveling with, also tied up for the night. Had some pleasant conversation and cocktails with the Captains and First Mates at this very beautiful and protected marina, highly recommended. The only drawback was you had to walk a mile to get to the office but we had our bikes so it made it much easier. A mile may not seem far to talk about but after a long day on the water, the closer the better! They had a Chinese restaurant, and Domino's Pizza, that would deliver to the boat and so we really "splurged" and Bonnie had her Chinese and David finally got his pizza. We don't even get home delivery in Durham.

May 24, 2002
Out by 7:00 a.m., and it is now the Friday of Memorial Day weekend and by 2 or 3:00 that afternoon there were pleasure boats out by the droves. We are figuring that maybe we should hole up for the weekend and let all this mayhem get over with before we continue on. We pushed on through and stayed at yet another marina, Spooner's Creek Yacht Club, as we could find no good anchorages on the way and there didn't seem to be any close enough for us to reach in daylight hours. Very nice club and got there by 4:00 p.m., so Bonnie had time to finally do the chore of laundry and get that done. Everything was right there and convenient. Seems like this is a nice place for restaurants nearby and provisioning for groceries, etc.

Looks from the chart that much of the travels tomorrow will not be near any large towns or cities as they create much more boating traffic on a weekend, and especially a Memorial Day weekend, so we will continue on. Hit Campbell Creek at around 4:00 and decided this was where we'll stay for the evening, no other boats around and far enough off the channel. Went back about a mile, past all the crab pots, and found a very peaceful anchorage that was our home for the next two nights. Great place to wait out the traffic. It's Sunday the 25th, so let's sleep in, have a good cooked breakfast, read, take a nap, do some fishing from the boat and have a cookout that night. Heard via cellphone from our friends on the Chesapeake, BEEN SO LONG, but unfortunately were not able to hear the phone ring but it was a pleasant surprise to hear from them as they were anchored in Reed Creek off the Chester River. Thanks, guys!

Our next mail stop is Belhaven, North Carolina, where we figured we would anchor for the night. We stopped at Rob's Marina for fuel. Our anchor windlass had given out a few mornings ago and they had someone on duty so we had them take it out and check it out. In Southport that was another job David and Bonnie had done, attempt to remove the windlass for inspection, but could not free it up. So Rob's did their job and we found out what parts will be needed to repair. For now it's hauling up the anchor by hand (the Captain's job, of course). The wind really started picking up and since we were already tied up there and there was no one around (and it is a holiday) we decided to just stay put and enjoy the evening. They had golf carts there for transient use. They could be driven on the highway since they were licensed and so we took full advantage of it and did some grocery shopping, went to lunch, got our mail, check e-mail. We truly enjoyed Belhaven, it is one of those good ol' American small towns that is just fun to check out. It was also nice to bunker down since the First Mate is dreading the next leg, the Alligator River and Albemarle Sound.

DSC00589.JPG (15677 bytes) Belhaven Golf Carts

May 28, 2002
Left on the 28th of May and planned on getting the Alligator River out of the way, with the Albemarle to be done the following day. Anchored in a vast anchorage north of Tuckahoe Point in the Alligator. The wind was SW and so it provided the kind of protection we needed. A few other boats joined us after our arrival. And then on the 29th on through the Alligator River Bridge and into the choppy, windy Albemarle Sound. It lived up to its reputation once again.

DSC00593.JPG (15475 bytes) 

The blessing was we had SW winds so we were pretty much going with the waves instead of against them. Anchored for the night in Blackwater Creek and felt relieved to have those two bodies of water behind us (or Bonnie felt relieved, that is). Tomorrow we will be in the Chesapeake. But first we have the wave runners to contend with. Great anchorage until they hit. Seemed they didn't appreciate our invading on their territory and bombarded us with a huge wave that soaked our cockpit. Not good when you were preparing to have a cookout and eat dinner out there. Captain confronted them and let them know how he felt about the situation, the one apologized, etc. All was quiet, almost done eating and they decide to give it one last blast. Approach the boat quietly, wave to us and vroom, blew out the starboard port screens and soaked the inside, including the bed. Guess they got the last word.

May 30, 2002
May 30th and up into the Chesapeake. We are excited to have almost completed our complete south and northward voyage all the way down to Key West. A feeling of accomplishment after having dreamed of doing so for so many years. We went on through very busy Norfolk and Hampton Roads area and decided we would go to Chisman Creek on the Poquoson River for the evening. Didn't seem too far back off our path.

DSC00595.JPG (16151 bytes) DSC00599.JPG (15580 bytes) DSC00600.JPG (14279 bytes) Norfolk, Va

Well, we got spoiled on the ICW as 95% of our anchorages were right off the channel, just a five- or ten-minute ride. It seemed to take forever to get to Chisman Creek. It must have been 45 minutes off our course for the next day but we realized this is pretty much the way the Chesapeake is, anchorages are not just right there! We headed out the morning of the 31st to reach one of our favorite spots on the Chesapeake, Crisfield, Maryland, and what will be our next mail stop.

Had 14-16 SE winds for much of the morning and by 2 or 3:00 that afternoon we were getting 20-23 SE which was giving us the 7.5 knot push that we needed to get all the way to Crisfield from Chisman in one day. We were very excited to be back here. Got a slip for a whole three nights at Somer's Cove Marina, relax, do some chores and eat some crabs, shrimp and softshell crabs. We ate out our first night there at Captain's Galley, had lunch at Waterman's on Sunday and had a couple of seafood dinners cooked on board. A front blew through on Monday night with very high winds but by the time we were ready to head out on Tuesday morning, it had quieted down to almost no wind.

June 3, 2002
We anchored in Little Choptank River the night of June 3rd and went into St. Michael's harbor for the night of the 4th. Walked through town and bought some beautiful blue crabs (and a couple softshells) for dinner on board that night. I guess you can tell we are back on the Chesapeake by all the crabs we're eating. Enjoyable dinner indeed.

DSC00601.JPG (15363 bytes) DSC00603.JPG (15377 bytes) DSC00607.JPG (16162 bytes) DSC00608.JPG (15346 bytes)

June 5, 2002
Awoke the morning of the 5th and had breakfast at St. Michaels Harbor and Marina restaurant. We had eaten there before and remembered their fabulous crab crake eggs benedict, once seated, open the menu, no crab eggs benedict anymore. OK. We were the only people there on a Wednesday morning, nice quiet breakfast.

June 5, 6 and 7, 2002
ROCK HALL!! We were originally planning on not returning to Rock Hall as we thought we would try to find a marina further north so that the trip from Durham would not be as long and we had planned on going north maybe to Cape Cod for a six-week cruise. A couple of weeks into this leg of our trip we unfortunately got a phone call from David's brother that his mother had taken ill and was in the hospital, and subsequently in a nursing home, and so we did proceed up north a little quicker than originally anticipated. We had planned on arriving in the Chesapeake, unsure of location, somewhere around the 15th. And so changing our itinerary (which when cruising probably changes at least once every couple weeks) we called Spring Cove and Madeline were gracious enough to find room for us, and coincidentally our slip from last year was the only one available (We think Madeline saved it on purpose).

We stayed in Spring Cove, Rock Hall, Maryland, for a few days packing and getting ready for our ride home. We had a driver scheduled to come pick us up and that worked out well. We sense the need to stay put for a couple months due to David's mother's health and so we now plan to keep close to home until August sometime, travel to our home on Cayman Brac for three or four weeks, return back to Durham for a few weeks and begin our preparations for our next cruise that will begin somewhere around the beginning of October - BAHAMA-bound. We plan on crossing over from Lake Worth, Florida, to the Bahamas, and spending a few months, hopefully without a having-to-come-home period, cruising through the Islands of the Bahamas.

Thanks for traveling along with us and hope you enjoyed reading about our travels as much as we enjoyed re-living and sharing them with you.

Return to top


Thanks for following our adventure. Hayden has set up a website to promote the Cayman Brac property, take a look at it at and let us know what you think.

Return to top


Website design by
  F. Hayden Designs, Inc.

Rock Hall Fleet E-mail
Gratitude Yachting Center E-mail
Last modified: April 05, 2006